Spiritual Rez Sing Of Love, Life & Marijuana On New Album “Setting In The West”

first_imgSpiritual Rez have released a new album called Setting In The West. The ten-song effort showcases the band’s musical diversity and relatable lyrics while maintaining the quintessential reggae vibes that they’ve come to be known for.Check out the full album stream here, and follow along with our recap of some of the album’s highlights.Setting In The West kicks off with “Sober”, a slow and plodding tune that showcases the mind of a drunk party-goer who meets the girl of his dreams. The lyrics openly wonder whether this love will last in the morning, once both parties have sobered up, showcasing a reflective attitude that permeates through the EP. “Red Room” is an uplifting tune that features typical, stress-free reggae vibes, advising the listener to “do it right you can’t rewind”. Life is short, and “Red Room” acts as the ultimate reminder to live life to the fullest and happiest. A guest verse by Duddy B of the Dirty Heads rounds things out with a spot-on guest appearance on the track.“Together Always” is a more personal love song, with vocalist Toft Willingham lamenting the stress of going on tour and leaving a jealous significant other at home. The song acts as a reassurance to the jealous lover, discussing the trials and tribulations of being in a relationship while on tour. The lyrics express the strong feelings that the protagonist has for his true love, the girl with a “golden heart” who is waiting for him at home. Vocalist HIRIE adds to the track by playing the role of the lonely girlfriend, providing harmonies and reciprocating the dedication that is on display in the song’s earlier verses.“Square Grouper” is a funky song about finding a large quantity of marijuana in the waters of Florida and profiting from this lucky discovery. For the uninitiated, a “Square Grouper” is a bale of Marijuana that has fallen overboard from a smuggling ship or thrown out of a smuggling plane (the term was coined by the US Coast Guard). In the end, the song tells a tale of wishful thinking, with Willingham singing about taking the risk to search for a “square grouper”, and the hope of becoming a rich man by selling the bounty. While the lyrics are playful, the song tells a vivid tale of desire and fantasy.In the end, this album accomplishes exactly what Spiritual Rez has set out to achieve. Setting In The West is a funky album that tells introspective tales about the search for love, peace, success, and tranquility, all while managing to make these topics fun, relatable, and danceable.last_img read more

See More

China expels Wall Street Journal reporters over ‘racist’ headline

first_imgChina on Wednesday ordered three reporters from The Wall Street Journal to leave the country over what Beijing deemed a racist headline, in one of the harshest moves against foreign media in years.The United States protested what it called an affront to press freedom, one day after it tightened rules on Chinese media organizations that it considers state propaganda.Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said a Journal opinion piece — titled “China is the Real Sick Man of Asia” — had a “racially discriminatory” and “sensational” headline, and slammed the newspaper for not issuing an official apology. “As such, China has decided that from today, the press cards of three Wall Street Journal reporters in Beijing will be revoked,” Geng told a press briefing.The Journal reported that deputy bureau chief Josh Chin and reporter Chao Deng, both US nationals, as well as reporter Philip Wen, an Australian, had been ordered to leave the country in five days.US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo condemned the expulsions and voiced hope that China would one day allow its citizens “the same access to accurate information” that Americans enjoy.”Mature, responsible countries understand that a free press reports facts and expresses opinions,” Pompeo said in a statement. “The correct response is to present counter arguments, not restrict speech,” he said.The three journalists work in The Wall Street Journal’s news section, which is not linked to the editorial and opinion section.The newspaper’s publisher, William Lewis, said the outlet was “deeply disappointed” with China’s decision and asked that the visas of the three reporters be reinstated.”This opinion piece was published independently from the WSJ newsroom and none of the journalists being expelled had any involvement with it,” Lewis said in a statement.”The need for quality, trusted news reporting from China is greater than ever; today’s decision to target our News department journalists greatly hinders that effort,” he said.”However, this has clearly caused upset and concern amongst the Chinese people, which we regret.”‘Not completely coincidental’ The op-ed, written by Bard College professor Walter Russell Mead, criticised the Chinese government’s initial response to the new coronavirus outbreak — calling the Wuhan city government at the virus epicentre “secretive and self-serving”, while dismissing national efforts as ineffective.The phrase “sick man of Asia” originally referred to China in the late 19th and early 20th century, when it was exploited by foreign powers during a period sometimes called the country’s “century of humiliation”.”At American newspapers, writers typically do NOT write or approve the headlines,” Mead tweeted after the op-ed was published. “Argue with the writer about the article content, with the editors about the headlines.”The new coronavirus epidemic has killed more than 2,000 people in China and infected more than 74,000, and has spread to at least two dozen countries.Geng said the February 3 piece “slandered the efforts of the Chinese government and the Chinese people to fight the epidemic”.The expulsions come a day after the United States angered China for classifying five state media outlets, including Xinhua agency and the China Global Television Network, as foreign missions, with State Department officials saying they were part of Beijing’s growing “propaganda” apparatus.China’s nationalistic Global Times newspaper on Wednesday implied a link between the WSJ expulsions and the new US policy.”There are no connections between the two events, but it is not completely coincidental that they happened at about the same time,” it said an editorial on its English-language website.”The two countries’ values are drifting apart… This is not a good sign.”‘Extreme’China’s move to force out the three journalists marks a drastic escalation in pressure on the international media. Multiple foreign reporters have been effectively expelled over the past five years.The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China said China had not outright expelled a foreign correspondent since 1998.”The action taken against the Journal correspondents is an extreme and obvious attempt by the Chinese authorities to intimidate foreign news organisations,” the FCCC said in a statement.Nine journalists have been either expelled or effectively expelled through non-renewal of visas since 2013, it added.In August, China refused to renew the press credentials of WSJ journalist Chun Han Wong, after he and Wen wrote an article on one of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s cousins.Wen and the other two expelled Journal reporters had reported on Xinjiang, covering forced labour, surveillance and re-education camps.A 2019 FCCC survey of 109 foreign journalists said many working in China have been threatened with visa delays, or issued with short-stay visas, which they believed were related to their coverage.China expels Wall Street Journal reporters over ‘racist’ headlineTopics :last_img read more

See More

UK local authority pension fund merger gets go-ahead

first_imgIn the consultation document, MHCLG said the funds projected that 50% of the newly merged fund would be under Border to Coast’s management by 31 March 2023, and 60% by 31 March 2025.The administering authorities have previously estimated the merger would enable administration and governance savings of around 10-12% per annum.David Davison, head of charity and public sector services at Spence & Partners, said the approval of the merger was “to be greatly welcomed and will hopefully be the start of many more similar arrangements adding value and consistency in the sector”.“There are too many small LGPS in the UK who cannot benefit from the economies of scale of larger funds so are not serving the tax payer, or indeed their members, as well as they might,” he said, adding that transition costs needed to be effectively managed to ensure maximum value was derived from the merger.As at the end of March 2019, the Tyne and Wear pension fund had £8.8bn (€9.8bn) in assets under management, and Northumberland £1.4bn.To read the digital edition of IPE’s latest magazine click here. The UK government has approved the merger of the Northumberland and Tyne and Wear local authority pension funds, the former being one of the smallest funds in the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) in England and Wales.The decision follows a consultation on the merger that drew three supportive responses, with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) today also saying the joint application that had been submitted last year “set out a strong case for the merger of the two pension funds”.The merger is intended to facilitate efficiencies and economies of scale, and will build on existing collaboration between the pension funds, which have been operating a shared pensions administration service for two years.Both pension funds participate in the Border to Coast Pensions Partnership, one of the eight asset pooling vehicles in the LGPS. According to the MHCLG document, the plan has been for Northumberland’s assets to be transferred to the pool at the same time as they are aligned with Tyne and Wear’s new target investment strategy.last_img read more

See More

EAC leaders expected in Tanzania to discuss Burundi Crisis

first_imgEast African heads of state states  are expected in Tanzania summit that is expected to break Burundi’s  political deadlock.The Leaders are also going to push for  peaceful elections.Twenty people have been killed in protests against President Pierre Nkurunziza’s bid for a third term, which  the opposition says violates the constitution and the Arusha peace accord  that ended the civil war in 2005.The heads of state of Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda and Burundi, which form the East African Community (EAC) common market, are expected to attend the extraordinary summit in Dar es Salaam on Wednesday.Tanzania’s president Jakaya Kikwete, who chairs the EAC, has sent a team of regional foreign affairs ministers on a fact-finding mission ahead of the summit.The violence being witnessed in Burundi is the worst since the end of civil war in the small East African Nation.President Pierre Nkurunziza is a former rebel and he says that he is entitled to run for a third term because he was first appointed to the role by parliament in 2005.The constitution states a president should govern only for two terms, but earlier this month a court upheld Mr Nkurunziza’s interpretation.The UN said last Friday that more than 50,000 Burundians had fled their country since April because of fears over pre-election violence.More than 50,000 people, mostly women and children, have fled Burundi to neighboring Rwanda, Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of Congo in the past month, the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) said. Heads of state of the East African Communitylast_img read more

See More

Magnussen Hits Back at Old Team Renault after Criticism

first_imgMagnussen is “excited” about Haas’s prospects and says their aim is to build on their promising debut campaign with their new 2017 challenger.“Our biggest challenge is going to be to extract everything and understand it properly because we are a small team and we don’t have enough people yet to throw analysis on everything and get everything analysed,” he added.“So we will have to work really hard to try and get the most out of the package we have, which I hope and think will be a good package.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram In an interview with Sky Sports News HQ, Magnussen hit back at those accusations and expressed regret that Abiteboul had not kept the matter private.“I think it’s easy to say that someone is making excuses,” Magnussen told Craig Slater. “I’ve said what I think and I’ve made my opinion clear about certain things and he was unhappy about it.“It’s fair enough, I can’t stop him from being unhappy with me, but it became a very public matter which I regret a little bit.“I prefer things to be, if you are unhappy about something keep it between the person you are unhappy with, which he didn’t do.“He didn’t keep it between me and him, he went public with it, and that’s his way of doing things. That’s fair enough with me.”The Dane’s short stay at Renault was replicated by that of Frederic Vasseur, who left his team principal post last week after differences among the management team.Newcomers Haas finished one place ahead of Renault in the 2016 standings and Magnussen believes his new team have a good chance of staying ahead this year.“It’s in the past really, there’s no reason for me to expand too much on the problems they [Renualt] have. They don’t mean so much anymore,” he added.“It’s important that we beat them and I think we can do that. With the problems they have it’s going to take a long time for them to improve. New Haas driver Kevin Magnussen has rejected criticism of him made by Renault following his departure from the French manufacturer team.Magnussen turned down a one-year contract extension at Renault to join the American-owned Haas outfit for 2017.Following the Dane’s departure, Renault Sport managing director Cyril Abiteboul was quoted as telling France’s Auto Hebdo magazine that he had been “disappointed” by Magnussen performances in 2016 and that the 24-year-old had searched for “excuses”.center_img “As I’ve said all the time, they have some very good people and it’s a great bunch of guys there that I enjoyed spending my time with all last year and made many friends there. There’s very few people that I don’t get on with in there.”Magnussen admits he has found his early days at Haas’s factory in Banbury refreshing having previously driven for past title winners in Renault and McLaren.“I’ve seen how resources isn’t everything, at all,” he said. “You can have so many people, if they don’t work together then it doesn’t mean anything. So completely going back to the core of a race team, which this is, it shows you how it should be really built up. You can’t just throw people at a project and expect it to deliver.“It’s been interesting to see the difference.”last_img read more

See More

The second iteration of Esports BAR Cannes goes off with a bang

first_imgThis year’s Cannes edition of the Esports BAR was a serious step up from 2017.This is not to say that 2017 was a poor event, far from it in fact; it was a strong start to REED Midem’s entrance into esports business conferences. Last week’s edition though, which took place at the Palais des Festivals between 12th and 14th February, was a 5* few days. As a content partner, Esports Insider put together two of the numerous panels. One of these looked at ‘Why football clubs are entering esports?’, and other focused on the esports and betting space.The football clubs panel saw Esports Insider in the moderator’s chair, with Sergio Benet, GM of Valencia CF, North CEO Christian Sorensen, and Pedro Honório da Silva, Co-Founder and CEO of Qwatti eSports Agency on the panel. The verdict here was that football clubs have been in the game for some time, and so esports organisations stand to learn a lot from them when it comes to being professional and well-organised entities. Likewise, football clubs stand to learn something too; when it comes to the creation of content many esports orgs do this very well indeed. Over at the betting panel on Valentine’s days no less, Betway’s Head of Esports Adam Savinson took to the stage alongside Sportradar Head of Esports James Watson and Suraj Gosai, Founder of BlinkPool. ESIC Commissioner Ian Smith, who lost out by the skin of his teeth to Disney at the Game Shakers Dinner the previous night, was in the moderator’s chair. With three days of content, panels, workshops and meetings it was a busy 72 hours for all Esports BAR attendees. One major reveal at the show saw Team Vitality announce a partnership with Renault Sports. Renault will start with a Rocket League team, to be known as Renault Sport Team Vitality, but have plans for far more; and Vitality will be right there alongside them making sure it all goes to plan. Renault Sport are in discussions with Formula One who have sizable esports plans. Players across Team Vitality’s other rosters will also gain access to, and benefit from, Renault Sports management and facilities. In another cool addition to the agreement, the Team Vitality logo will appear on Renault’s Formula One cars.The rather magnificent backdrop of the Cannes harbour was mirrored by the delivery of the event by Reed MIDEM. Following the second day, the inaugural Game Shakers Dinner took place nearby at the Intercontinental Cannes. Here, an array of companies and personalities were rewarded for their hard work and what they have brought, are bringing or are expected to bring to the esports industry.The likes of Disney won Shaker to Watch, whilst Nate Nanzer won Shaker of the Year, Twitch and Valve won Media Shaker, the IOC won Sport Shaker and BMW and Riot won Brand Shaker. You can read more about this Esports BAR partner event right here. Next up for the team behind the Esports BAR is the second coming of the event in Miami. This is taking place in September 24-26th. Disclaimer: Esports Insider is an official content partner of the Esports BARlast_img read more

See More

Osage man sentenced to five years for assaulting teenage girl

first_imgOSAGE — It’s five years in prison for an Osage man originally accused of kidnapping and assaulting a teen girl last year.44-year-old Timothy Hines was charged with third-degree kidnapping and assault with the intent to commit sexual abuse after authorities received a complaint of an assault involving a 14-year-old girl in the 1900 block of Lime Kiln Road near Osage on April 17th.Hines originally pleaded not guilty to the charges, but during a plea change hearing in January entered an Alford plea to the assault with the intent to commit sexual abuse charge, with the kidnapping charge being dismissed. In an Alford plea, a person doesn’t admit guilt but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a likely conviction.District Judge Colleen Weiland on Tuesday sentenced Hines to five years in prison. He must also be on the Iowa Sex Offender Registry for a period of 10 years.last_img read more

See More