UTEP quarterback Kai Locksley arrested for making terroristic threat, suspended from team

first_imgJune 9, 2019 /Sports News – National UTEP quarterback Kai Locksley arrested for making terroristic threat, suspended from team FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailDonald Page/Getty Images(EL PASO, TX) —  University of Texas, El Paso has suspended quarterback Kai Locksley after he was arrested for a number of offenses, including gun charges and making terroristic threats.Locksley was arrested Saturday after being pulled over for driving under the influence, possession of marijuana (less than 2 ounces), unlawful carrying of a weapon and making terroristic threats, according to jail records.He was released on a total of $2,900 bond for the four offenses.The senior quarterback, who started eight games for the Miners last season, was immediately suspended by the team.“We are aware of the charges against Kai Locksley,” UTEP coach Dana Dimel said in a statement. “While the severity of these charges is concerning, it would not be appropriate to determine a course of action until we have all the facts. In the meantime, he has been suspended from the UTEP football team.”It was unclear what prompted the charge for terroristic threats. ABC News has reached out to the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office for further details.Locksley is also the son of Maryland head coach Mike Locksley, who was just named to lead the program this offseason after serving as offensive coordinator at Alabama.The 6-foot-4, 215 pound quarterback was expected to be in the discussion at starter for UTEP in 2019. He had three passing touchdowns and six rushing touchdowns last season. He also missing three games due to injury.Locksley was a star recruit out of high school, eventually committing to Texas. But he admitted to the Des Moines Register in 2017 that off-the-field issues led to his departure from the program.“Life hits you fast when you’re on your own and things didn’t go my way on the field,” he told the Register. “I didn’t respond in the best manner. I kind of had to fall apart a little to make strides and to grow.”His older brother, Meiko, was killed in a shooting in 2017 in Maryland.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Written bycenter_img Beau Lundlast_img read more

See More

Uni row prompts lead fundraiser’s departure

first_imgA major row is believed to have erupted among senior figures at Oxford University, following the abrupt departure of the don leading its £1.25 billion fundraising drive.Dr Jon Dellandrea had been heading the huge campaign to secure the university’s future until it was suddenly announced that he would be leaving his post as Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Development and External Affairs this coming autumn.Sources indicated today that the reasons for his departure were related to a disagreement with the Michael Moritz – the 53-year-old Californian dotcom multi-millionaire who recently donated £25 million pounds to Christ Church College.Moritz, the newly appointed head of Oxford’s fundraising effort in North America, had been due to work alongside Dr Dellandrea but was apparently reluctant to do so due to personal differences.In one alleged telephone conversation between the pair, the American tycoon is even purported to have called Dellandrea “obtuse” and “uncooperative.”The Christ Church alumnus has also expressed public concern that his donation – one of the largest gifts ever received by a British university – was not being properly managed.Speaking in July, he revealed that he had only opened his pockets on condition that the money was properly handled in a new university-wide asset management fund.He said: “I made it quite clear to Christ Church that despite all its best efforts, noble intentions and hard work, its money needed to be managed in a much improved fashion.”Dr Dellandrea, a Canadian, was appointed amid much fanfare by Vice-Chancellor John Hood in December 2004, after he oversaw a hugely successful drive to raise £500 million pounds for the University of Toronto.Since then he is said to have built Oxford University’s development office into the world’s largest, employing more than 80 staff, whilst also enjoying a chauffeured car and six-figure salary.Asked to comment on the allegations this afternoon a spokesmen from the University of Oxford refused to give any further comment.A statement released by the university insisted last week that Dr Dellandrea was leaving to take up “international consultancies.”It added that over half of the initially targeted £1.25 billion had already been raised.last_img read more

See More

City Council approves boat yard build

first_imgLabour Councillor Bob Price told Cherwell, “The Jericho boatyard site has lain derelict since the British Waterways Board disgracefully sold it off for housing ten years ago, ignoring the needs of the large canal boat population and the local Jericho community. “The City Council successfully defended its vision of a combined boatyard, housing and public open space development on the site at appeal, and embodied that vision in a Special Planning Document as part of the Local Plan. We are pleased that we have been able to give provisional approval to the current planning application which meets most of our aspirations, but not our wish to secure 50 per cent af-ordable housing units.” However, he continued to describe the list of conditions and legal issues that need to be negotiated and settled before the final approval can be issued and explained that the Planning Committee will meet later this year to examine those agreements before they are signed. Lib Dem Mike Gotch was the only councillor to vote against the proposals, which were successfully passed with a vote of seven to one. Gotch commented, “The boatyard has been in its derelict state for about ten years, and everyone involved is sick of the arguments about this or that aspect of redevelopment – there have been two previous development schemes. However, being fed up, as one might expect, is not a satisfactory reason for accepting a not unattractive but flawed scheme. “St Barnabas Church is Grade One listed – a precious resource that may be [according to the officers] adversely affected by the proposals – we might have learned from the Castle Mill Flats development to carefully protect our listed assets – but seemingly not.” Oxford City Council has approved the £20m redevelopment of Jericho’s derelict boatyard after months of disputes between residents and developers – although the plans will be subject to 45 conditions. The new proposals involves creating a “piazza-style” public square between St Barnabas Church and Oxford Canal, surrounded by 22 new homes, a community centre, a nursery, and a restaurant. The plans also involve a new boatyard with two dry docks and a wet dock, as well as a swing bridge that will provide public access to the Oxford Canal. These plans are the fifth attempt to redevelop the derelict site in over a decade, with the City Council previously rejecting two plan- ning applications to regenerate the boatyard. Despite the approval of these most recent proposals, they still underwent significant consideration, with the planning committee accepting them on principal, but attaching 45 conditions. These included the amendment that ownership of the community centre and piazza square would eventually be passed to residents’ group Jericho Wharf Trust.last_img read more

See More

Catholics excused from Mass obligation in South Bend-Fort Wayne Diocese

first_img Twitter Catholics excused from Mass obligation in South Bend-Fort Wayne Diocese Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Ind., attends the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops general meeting in Baltimore Monday, Nov. 10, 2014. (AP Photo/Steve Ruark) Catholics in South Bend have been dispensed from their obligation to attend Sunday Mass.Bishop Kevin C. Rhodes of the Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne and South Bend issued a statement Friday afternoon, saying the obligation has been lifted from March 15 through the March 29.The Bishop urges Catholics to refrain from shaking hands for the Sign of Peace, opting for non-physical contact, and also says that all are asked to refrain from holding hands during the Our Father if that’s a custom in your church.http://www.diocesefwsb.org/ Facebook Twitter WhatsApp CoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market Google+ Pinterest By Tommie Lee – March 13, 2020 0 674 Google+ Pinterest WhatsApp Facebook Previous articleBerrien County ceases all non-criminal fingerprintingNext articleLouisiana elections chief asks to postpone April 4 primary Tommie Leelast_img read more

See More

$42M in infrastructure grants awarded to Indiana airports

first_imgIndianaLocalNews Pinterest By Brooklyne Beatty – September 1, 2020 0 377 Twitter $42M in infrastructure grants awarded to Indiana airports WhatsApp Google+ (Source: https://goo.gl/3Tr56TLicense: https://goo.gl/sZ7V7x) The Trump Administration awarded more than $1.2-Billion in airport safety and infrastructure grants to 405 airports nationwide, including several in Michiana.The grants are funded through the Federal Aviation Administration, and will go toward improving the nation’s airport infrastructure, safety and growth.Federal grants will be awarded to the following airports in the State of Indiana:$155,000 to Anderson Municipal-Darlington Field to rehabilitate an apron and taxiway.$166,666 to DeKalb County Airport to purchase land for approaches.$1,437,450 to Virgil I Grissom Municipal Airport in Bedford to build a taxiway.$220,000 to Monroe County Airport to install signage.$2,793,500 to Columbus Municipal Airport to install perimeter fencing.$316,606 to Hendricks County-Gordon Graham Field to rehabilitate a runway and runway lighting.$2,188,911 to Evansville Regional to improve a safety area, update a terminal building and rehabilitate a taxiway.$59,200 to Frankfort Municipal Airport to update a hangar.$153,110 to French Lick Municipal Airport to extend a taxiway and expand an apron.$374,416 to Greensburg Municipal Airport to build a runway.$166,666 to Griffith-Merrillville Airport to seal apron joints.$1,803,463 to Huntington Municipal Airport to rehabilitate a runway.$10,391,837 to Indianapolis International Airport to rebuild a runway and taxiway, and create infrastructure for the Voluntary Airport Low Emissions Program (VALE).$1,000,000 to Kentland Municipal Airport to build an apron.$316,666 to LaPorte Municipal to update the airport’s master plan.$719,000 to Purdue University Airport to buy an airport rescue and firefighting vehicle.$166,030 to Logansport/Cass County Airport to update the airport’s master plan.$145,885 to Madison Municipal to purchase land, build an apron and improve airport obstruction marking.$166,666 to Indianapolis Regional Airport in McCordsville to update the airport’s master plan.$736,775 to Michigan City Municipal-Phillips Field to purchase land.$55,284 to White County Airport to extend a runway.$192,575 to New Castle Henry County Marlatt Field to purchase land.$166,666 to Paoli Municipal Airport to improve a fuel farm.$341,623 to Portland Municipal Airport to extend a runway.$535,307 to Jasper County Airport to purchase land.$167,340 to Fulton County Airport to update signage, navigational aids, lighting and beacons.$286,111 to Salem Municipal Airport to extend a runway.$96,000 to Freeman Municipal Airport in Seymour to rehabilitate an apron.$13,319,538 to South Bend International Airport to rebuild a taxiway.$270,601 to Sullivan County Airport to seal runway surfaces.$588,750 to Perry County Municipal Airport to rehabilitate runway lighting.$50,000 to Terre Haute Regional Airport Hulman Field for an airport wildlife assessment program.$165,000 to Porter County Regional Airport to install perimeter fencing.1,927,524 to Warsaw Municipal Airport to rehabilitate a runway.A complete listing of grants (PDF) and an interactive map of airports receiving funding is available on the FAA website. Previous articlePolice pursuit leads to arrest in Cass County MondayNext articleBerrien County K9 officers receive donation of vests Brooklyne Beattycenter_img TAGSairportfaaFederal Aviation AdministrationfudinggrantIndianasafetytrump WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Facebook Google+ Pinterestlast_img read more

See More

Flour Pot Bakery reveals expansion plans

first_imgBrighton-based The Flour Pot Bakery has revealed plans to open two new sites next year, bringing the total number in its portfolio to eight.The business told British Baker the new shops would also be in East Sussex and based on its bakery/coffee shop model. It follows the recent opening of The Flour Pot Kitchen – a licensed café restaurant on the Brighton seafront.“We’re always getting asked to open different places in Brighton,” said marketing manager Louise Tamadon-Nejad. “We have two in the pipeline for next year.”The company currently has shops in Sydney Street, Preston Drove and Elm Grove in Brighton, as well as in First Avenue and Dyke Road in Hove.Last month it opened its first Flour Pot Kitchen concept, featuring an open kitchen that produces artisanal sourdough pizza made with a 48-hour ferment, for its on-site restaurant, other shops and customers.In addition, the shop makes handcrafted bread, sandwiches, and pastries, as well as rye bread croutons, crackers and crostini.The pizzas have proved so popular they are now sold on a Friday as well as a Wednesday, said Tamadon-Nejad.“We haven’t got around to doing pizza delivery yet, but there’s no reason why not [in the future],” she added.last_img read more

See More

Larry Wilmore to deliver Theodore H. White Lecture

first_img Read Full Story The Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, located at the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS), is pleased to announce that this year’s Theodore H. White Lecture on Press and Politics will be delivered by comedian, producer and writer Larry Wilmore. The lecture will take place Nov. 15 at 6 p.m. in the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum, 79 JFK St., Cambridge.The Theodore H. White Lecture on Press and Politics commemorates the life of the reporter and historian who set the standard for contemporary political journalism and campaign coverage. Past lecturers include Rachel Maddow, Alan K. Simpson, Ben Bradlee, Judy Woodruff, William F. Buckley Jr., and Congressman John Lewis.This event will be ticketed. Tickets are free, but will be distributed by lottery. Visit the Harvard Institute of Politics website to enter the lottery. The deadline for entries is midnight Nov. 8. Winners will be notified via email on Wednesday, November 9. Winners must pick up their tickets at the Institute of Politics at HKS on Nov. 10 or Nov. 14 between 9 a.m.–5 p.m. No exceptions will be made.This event will also be streamed online. More information. last_img read more

See More

Weekly unemployment claims up slightly, trend flattens

first_imgThere were 879 new regular benefit claims for Unemployment Insurance last week, an increase of 42 from the week before, as the data has smoothed since its volatility in January. Altogether 12,678 new and continuing claims were filed, a decrease of 155 from a week ago and 2,283 fewer than a year earlier. The Department also processed 2,195 First Tier claims for benefits under Emergency Unemployment Compensation, 2008 (EUC08), 19 more than a week ago. In addition, there were 908 Second Tier claims for benefits processed under the EUC08 program, which is an increase of 22 from the week before. The Unemployment Weekly Report can be found at: http://www.vtlmi.info/(link is external). Previously released Unemployment Weekly Reports and other UI reports can be found at: http://www.vtlmi.info/lmipub.htm#uc(link is external)last_img read more

See More

World Council working to establish credit unions in Cuba

first_img 28SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr As the U.S. and Cuba normalize relations, World Council of Credit Unions is planting the seeds for the movement’s development.World Council leaders visited the island nation in July to investigate the current state of financial services. Brian Branch, World Council president/CEO, writes about the trip at makingadifference.squarespace.com.A World Council delegation plans to return to Cuba this month to meet with Cuban officials and engage in a government policy dialog to establish a legal framework for credit unions.World Council’s work in Cuba backs the organization’s Vision 2020 initiative to extend credit union services to at least 50 million new people by the year 2020. The initiative targets the two billion unbanked people worldwide.Credit unions for Cuba’s 11 million residents would bring World Council one large step closer to meeting their goal. continue reading »last_img read more

See More

Rijeka has a new tourist guide – Time Out

first_imgAs of this year, Rijeka has a new tourist guide in English as part of the world’s most famous tourist franchise guide Time Out.The edition dedicated to Rijeka has just been published and is available at newsstands with over 100 pages dedicated only to Rijeka and the European Capital of Culture.Time Out Rijeka offers a handful of stories about Rijeka and the European Capital of Culture that will present us to many tourists and readers. And not only in the print edition that is available at newsstands, but also in online advertising activities, new videos and in the application that is being prepared. In addition to distribution in kiosks in Croatia, the magazine is available in selected foreign markets, all with the aim of further raising the international profile of Rijeka with the promotion of cultural, tourist and development potentials of the city.Time Out Rijeka is a joint tourist guide of Rijeka and the European Capital of Culture, which was realized with partners by the Tourist Board of Rijeka and Rijeka 2020. By the way, Time Out is an international media magazine for tourism, culture and gastronomy present in 108 cities and 39 countries. and has a monthly audience of 242 million readers worldwide. Time Out media includes magazines, websites, newsletters and mobile applications and has a reach of 2,5 million tourists who come to Croatia every year.last_img read more

See More