Pope says worst of virus is over, Vatican clear of cases

first_img“But be careful… do not celebrate victory too soon,” he added, warning of the need to continue following social distancing rules. Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said in a statement late Saturday that the last person found to have been infected with the coronavirus in recent weeks had tested negative. “Today there are no more cases of coronavirus among employees of the Vatican,” or within Vatican City, he said. Twelve people in total within the Vatican had been infected by the virus.  Pope Francis said on Sunday the worst of the coronavirus crisis was over in Italy, addressing the faithful for the first time in Saint Peter’s Square since the health emergency began.The pontiff’s address came a day after the Vatican said there were no more cases of COVID-19 within its population.”Your presence in the square is a sign that in Italy the acute phase of the epidemic is over,” Francis told those assembled for his weekly Angelus prayer. The Argentine pope expressed his sympathy for those in some Latin American countries like Brazil and Peru, which have been hit hard by the coronavirus. “Unfortunately in other countries — I am thinking of some of them — the virus continues to claim many victims,” he said. “Last Friday, in one country, one person died every minute! Terrible. I wish to express my closeness to those populations, to the sick and their families, and to all those who care for them,” he said.During Italy’s two-month lockdown. which began in March, Francis continued to address the faithful via videoconference from within a chapel within his Vatican residence. The COVID-19 epidemic has killed nearly 34,000 people in Italy, but experts believe it has now been mostly been controlled. center_img Topics :last_img read more

See More

New China law a ‘serious risk’ to Hong Kong’s freedoms: UN experts

first_imgIn a letter made public Friday, the UN advisers warned parts of the legislation “appear to criminalize freedom of expression or any form of criticism” of China.”The National Security Law… poses a serious risk that those fundamental freedoms and due process protections may be infringed upon,” the rapporteurs said.The letter warned the legislation may “impinge impermisibly on the rights to freedom of opinion, expression and of peaceful assembly.”The rapporteurs urged China’s “reconsideration” of the legislation and for a fully independent reviewer to be appointed to ensure it complies with China’s international human rights obligations. They also expressed concern over one of the most controversial points of the law – which allows cases can be transferred from the jurisdiction of Hong Kong to mainland China – and warned it could undermine the right to a fair trial.Critics believe the security law has ended the liberties and autonomy that Beijing promised Hong Kong could keep after its 1997 handover by Britain – freedoms unique within China.The broadly worded law criminalized certain political speech overnight, such as advocating sanctions, and greater autonomy or independence for Hong Kong.Lawyers acting for some of the more than 20 people arrested under the law so far say police are trawling through historic actions of pro-democracy activists to beef-up their cases.The UN experts also raised concerns over the definition of terrorism under the national security law.They warned it extends to damage of physical property such as transport facilities – which goes well beyond the UN Security Council’s definition of terrorist conduct as aiming to cause death or serious bodily harm.Since the law was imposed on Hong Kong, a raft of nations have ended bilateral deals with the city, including extradition treaties with the US, Britain, Canada, Australia, France and Germany.The law has also sparked fears over plunging press freedoms, particularly after the arrest of a pro-democracy media tycoon under the new law last month. China’s national security law for Hong Kong poses a serious risk to the city’s freedoms and breaches international legal obligations, UN special rapporteurs on human rights have warned.Beijing has faced a barrage of criticism over the law, which was imposed in late June after pro-democracy protests rocked the semi-autonomous city last year.The law, which criminalizes secession, subversion, terrorism and colluding with foreign forces, carries a maximum life sentence and has intimidated many protesters into silence.center_img Topics :last_img read more

See More

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang explains why Granit Xhaka ‘deserves’ to captain Arsenal

first_imgAdvertisement Metro Sport ReporterMonday 30 Sep 2019 5:31 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link287Shares Advertisement Comment Manager Unai Emery had the squad vote on who should skipper the side (Picture: Getty)Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang believes the Arsenal squad have made the right decision in appointing Granit Xhaka as the new club captain, while he intends to help out as part of the leadership team.Manager Unai Emery had the squad vote on who should wear the armband following Laurent Koscielny’s departure over the summer, with Xhaka – who has already captained the side six times this season – getting the nod.Aubameyang was also elected to be part of the leadership group as the first vice-captain, with Hector Bellerin, Alexandre Lacazette and Mesut Ozil – in that order – joining him.center_img Xhaka’s appointment as captain is no surprise, often wearing the armband this season (Getty)There has been plenty of criticism of Xhaka’s performances recently, and the decision to make him skipper, but Aubameyang has defended the Swiss midfielder and says he is an invaluable influence.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘I think he’s an important guy in the club. He’s a guy who everybody can learn about him,’ the Arsenal striker told Sky Sports ahead of the Gunners’ clash with Manchester United.‘He’s a strong guy. I know that he had a bad moment, but we’re here for him. If he’s captain today, it’s because he deserves it.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityAubameyang also expanded on his own role as part of the leadership group, continuing: ‘I think we will try to help everybody. As I say, everybody can have bad moments, especially us.‘We are older than the other players, so we will try to help the young players because we have a lot of young players that are coming in and playing well. We have to make sure that they continue. So we’re here for that.’ Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang explains why Granit Xhaka ‘deserves’ to captain Arsenal Aubameyang feels the older players have a duty to help the club’s youngsters (Picture: Getty)Speaking about Xhaka’s appointment as captain, Emery said: ‘He is mature and he has experience, and we are living all the time under pressure, under criticism as coaches, as players, as a club.‘The most important thing is to stand up in each moment, go ahead and show his quality with his behaviour, with his commitment. In the dressing room the players voted for him as the first.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenallast_img read more

See More

Waterfront house sells within a week of hitting the market

first_img10 The Lido, Isle of Capri sold for $1.375 million.A GROWING number of cashed-up buyers are snapping up Gold Coast properties before their scheduled auctions.Among them is a local buyer who paid $1.375 million for a three-bedroom house at 10 The Lido, Isle of Capri. The property sold within a week of hitting the market through Ray White Broadbeach agents Sam Guo and Julie Kuo.More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North11 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa1 day agoIt was the first time the property had been on the market in 18 years,The single waterfront home has been designed to its waterfront setting with a Bali hut, timber deck and pool.Inside there is re open-plan living and dining areas as well as timber flooring and shutters throughout.The 630sq m property last changed hands in 1999 for $425,000. 10 The Lido, Isle of Capri. 10 The Lido, Isle of Capri.last_img read more

See More

EAC leaders expected in Tanzania to discuss Burundi Crisis

first_imgEast African heads of state states  are expected in Tanzania summit that is expected to break Burundi’s  political deadlock.The Leaders are also going to push for  peaceful elections.Twenty people have been killed in protests against President Pierre Nkurunziza’s bid for a third term, which  the opposition says violates the constitution and the Arusha peace accord  that ended the civil war in 2005.The heads of state of Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda and Burundi, which form the East African Community (EAC) common market, are expected to attend the extraordinary summit in Dar es Salaam on Wednesday.Tanzania’s president Jakaya Kikwete, who chairs the EAC, has sent a team of regional foreign affairs ministers on a fact-finding mission ahead of the summit.The violence being witnessed in Burundi is the worst since the end of civil war in the small East African Nation.President Pierre Nkurunziza is a former rebel and he says that he is entitled to run for a third term because he was first appointed to the role by parliament in 2005.The constitution states a president should govern only for two terms, but earlier this month a court upheld Mr Nkurunziza’s interpretation.The UN said last Friday that more than 50,000 Burundians had fled their country since April because of fears over pre-election violence.More than 50,000 people, mostly women and children, have fled Burundi to neighboring Rwanda, Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of Congo in the past month, the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) said. Heads of state of the East African Communitylast_img read more

See More

IRC takes credit for stable and reliable energy supply

first_imgLocalNews IRC takes credit for stable and reliable energy supply by: – May 10, 2012 27 Views   no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Sharecenter_img Share Executive Director Lancelot McCaskey addressing media workers on energy concerns.The Independent Regulatory Commission said it should take credit for the provision of a more stable and reliably supply of electricity in Dominica.Executive Officer of the IRC Lancelot McCaskey highlighted one community which has seen tremendous improvement in their energy source after intervention from that organization.The village of Portsmouth had been suffering from blackouts over the years; however McCaskey told a press conference that intervention from the IRC has led to a massive improvement in services there.“I think that we have managed to cause DOMLEC to provide a more stable supply of electricity in this part of the country as well as in Portsmouth. The people there have been suffering so badly. In Picard, nearly every building has a generator. That’s because we got so many black outs. One of the first things we did when we started our outreaches was to take the GM of Portsmouth and let the people there tell him their suffering and he promised to improve the system,” he explained.McCaskey told the media that the frequent blackouts have subsided and the people of Portsmouth are happy.“Some of them are even trying to sell their generators when we talk to them. You get blackouts when there is a storm and for maintenance but not otherwise,” he said.He also the IRC sourced a consultant to investigate DOMLEC’s system with a view to improving it and making it stronger.He said DOMLEC also has to report on every blackout that affects more than 100 persons at any one time.Dominica Vibes News Tweetlast_img read more

See More

World Championship going back to Nanjing

first_img Loading… Nanjing, China, will once again host the World DanceSport Federation (WDSF) World Breaking Championship, organisers have confirmed. Qualification will be through WDSF National Member Bodies (NMBs), who can select two b-girls and two b-boys, mostly through national qualifiers. The world’s leading breakers can also be invited, in addition to national quotas. Last month, the International Olympic Committee confirmed that breaking has been included on the sports programme for the next Youth Olympic Games, in Dakar, Senegal, in 2022. In December 2019, the IOC confirmed that breaking has been included on the sports programme for the next Youth Olympic Games, due to take place in Dakar (SEN) in 2022. Read Also:World Championship: Visa hindering Nigeria squash team’s departure to U.S The World Championship is jointly organised by the WDSF, the Chinese DanceSport Federation, Social Sports Administration Centre of Jiangsu Province, the Nanjing Sports Bureau and the Lishui District People’s Government of Nanjing City. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content10 Of The Best Places Around The World To Go StargazingThe Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsThe Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love WithThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny10 Phones That Can Easily Fit In The Smallest PocketMind-Bending Technology That Was Predicted Before It AppearedBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World The event was held in 2019 at the eastern Chinese city, and the WDSF has confirmed that it will return on August 30 2020. More than 150 b-boys and b-girls will be competing in 1vs1 battles for the opportunity to be crowned world champion. “We were very satisfied with the outcome of last year’s Championship and are excited to be returning to Nanjing this year,” WDSF President Shawn Tay said. “Most importantly, the feedback from the dancers was quite positive, so we are looking forward to once again seeing the world’s best b-boys and b-girls showcasing their incredible skills in China this August.” Last year’s record-breaking edition featured around 150 breakers from 65 countries, with Japan’s B-girl Ami and B-boy Menno from The Netherlands the current world champions.Advertisementlast_img read more

See More

‘Tis the season of ‘akyat bahay’

first_img“Walangnamang organized na robbery group dito perokung makikita nila na may opportunity naopen ang gate, robbers will takeadvantage of that. So dapat secure ang ating mga pintuan,” he said. He also wanted the security measuresbolstered in establishments that deal with money such as banks, pawnshops,money remittance centers, and money changers, even public markets. “I have instructed all police unitsnot to lower their guard. Focus on criminals. Conduct more operations againstloose firearms. Maximize our presence,” said Police Brigadier General RenePamuspusan, Western Visayas police director. Pamuspusan urged barangaycouncils to allow their barangay tanodsto augment the police. ILOILO City – This holiday seasoneverybody should be extra cautious. “Akyat bahay” or robbery groups are justwaiting for the right opportunity to strike, according to the Police RegionalOffice 6 (PRO-6). “Barangay officials, especiallyvillage watchmen, are a big help to our police. We really need them,”Pamuspusan said./PN Close the doors, Pamuspusan suggested.last_img read more

See More

No classes in Iloilo City for 2 weeks

first_imgTreñas said students, teachers, schooladministrators, and staff must be protected against the novel coronaviruscausing a pneumonia-like illness. The mayor “strongly advised” studentsand school personnel to instead quarantine themselves at home. Within this two-week period, schoolswill be disinfected. To ensure that students won’t use thetwo-week class suspension as an opportunity to wander and increase their riskof getting the virus, Treñas said the city government would be inspectingmalls, bars, coffee shops, computer shops, and similar establishments. ILOILO City – From March 16 to 31there will be no classes in all levels in both public and private schools here.It is a measure to avert the local transmission of the coronavirus disease 2019(COVID-19), said Mayor Jerry Treñas who ordered the class suspension yesterday. All school activities during the14-day period are also prohibited, stressed Treñas, such as – but not limitedto – JS Proms graduation, moving up, recognition and events where socialdistancing could not be observed. Regarding post-graduate programs ofschools, the mayor left the decision to continue or suspend them to schooladministrators. He added that the city government isonly asking for two weeks of class suspension because that is the incubationperiod of the COVID-19. “During this period, students are alsoprohibited from entering or patronizing malls, bars, coffee shops, and othersimilar establishments where social distancing cannot be observed,” read partof Treñas’ executive order (EO) suspended classes. Students wearing protective masks during a school activity in Manila. AP These establishments must turnstudents away or face penalties not limited to fines alone. Treñas said erringestablishments may lose their business permits pursuant to the Local RevenueCode of Iloilo City. Also yesterday, Treñas announced thatthe Office of Senior Citizens Affairs would be suspending the processing ofidentification cards at city hall beginning March 16 to discourage the elderlyfrom traveling to the city hall and expose themselves to possible viruscontamination. The city government’s Public Safetyand Transportation Management Office (PSTMO) and Philippine National Policehave been tasked to enforce the EO. With the initiative, he said, thechances of spreading the infection will be reduced. Treñas, too, advised religious sects,congregations and denominations in his EO to review the conduct of theirreligious services and gatherings. He stressed the importance of socialdistancing and suggested foregoing religious activities where such could not beobserved. “This is not a lockdown on Iloilo. Weare just calling off classes. We are requesting malls, too, to reduce theiractivities,” Treñas said. According to the World HealthOrganization, the elderly appear to be the most vulnerable to COVID-19 due toweakened immune system and underlying medical conditions. His suspension order, he added, was inline with the national government’s Inter-Agency Task Force for the Managementof Emerging Disease’s Resolution No. 11-2020 advising local government unitsoutside the National Capital Region to exercise sound discretion in suspendingclasses in their respective areas. The city’s chief executive also saidcity hall employees may be allowed to have a four-day work week provided thatthe 40 working hours required for government workers will be met./PNlast_img read more

See More

Racing action in Thurles this afternoon

first_imgSuccessful in the race in 2013 and again in 2014, Paul Fahey’s stable star will attempt the hat-track on the back of a recent Flat win at Down Royal The action at Thurles gets going at 2.15 and there are seven races down for decision…the going is good to firm, good in places.last_img

See More