“If anything, the members of the61st IB who were involved in the April 18 operation should be investigatedfor Farochilin’s death, the motive to kill him being quite apparent,” saidVergara. The Army’s claim had been flat-outdenied by the families of the detainees, the barangay officials, and theteachers of the schools they attended, all of whom insisted that they wereunarmed civilians, he pointed out. The Philippine Army claimed thatFarochilin, the person killed by the 61st Infantry (Hunter) Battalion onApril 18 in Barangay Cabalaunan, Miag-ao, and the 11 others arrested anddetained, were members of the New People’s Army (NPA), and that the minorsamong the group were “child warriors” recruited by the rebels. “At this point, taking the statementsof the 61st IB and the Philippine Army at face value would not only bemisguided, but outright foolish,” according to Reylan B. Vergara, secretary-general of Panay AllianceKarapatan. A transparent investigation into thekilling of Farochilin and the arrest and detention of the 11 detainees shouldbe carried out, he stressed. “In all these cases, the 61st IBuniformly claimed that the victims were members of the NPA, seemingly shieldingits members from any proper inquiry into the matter. To a large extent, thistack has been successful and the alleged perpetrators have escapedaccountability,” according to Vergara. The human rights leader noted thatsince the unit’s deployment in Panay Island, the 61st IB has beenimplicated in various allegations of human rights violations – ranging fromwarrantless search of homes to the planting of evidence, illegal arrests, andeven the death of two farmers in Maayon, Capiz back in 2017. ILOILO City – The human rights group Panay AllianceKarapatan is demanding an investigation on the death of a member of the Sangguniang Barangay of Onop, Miag-ao,Iloilo, John Farochilin, also the chairperson of Alyansa sang mga Mangunguma saMiag-ao. Farochilin, according to Vergara, wasa known peasant leader who had actively campaigned for farmers’ rights – evenmeeting, only recently, with the Commission on Human Rights to discusspartnering with the said agency for a public education campaign on human rightsissues and to air concerns of violations committed by government troops. “Continuing to accept the PhilippineArmy’s narrative of events with little or no discernment is the surest formulafor impunity. It disregards the fact that, under both domestic andinternational law, civilians and even suspected rebels enjoy protection againstarbitrary and excessive action and the unnecessary use of violence by securityforces. Worse, it ensures that heinous crimes and abuses committed by soldiersagainst civilians living in rural areas – such as those reported on April 18 –will continue unabated and unscrutinized,” Vergara warned./PN
Kimberly Cleeter.AURORA, Ind. – The owner of a local driving school being sued by the Indiana attorney general’s office is now facing a list of criminal charges.Kimberly J. Cleeter, 48, the operator of the KC driving School, of Aurora and Milan, has been charged with 52 counts of theft and others charges including attempted theft, forgery and corrupt business influence.The driving school is accused of failing to provide driver education services, or required certification, after receiving payment from students and parents. A lawsuit was filed by the attorney general’s office earlier this month.There have been fifty complaints of customers paying for classes but not receiving instruction. Three instructors also were not paid by Cleeter, the Dearborn County Register reports.A search warrant was conducted at her home in Dillsboro in August and authorities confiscated financial documents and electronic devices. Cleeter arrived home while the warrant was ongoing, and the newspaper reports she told police she first learned there was a problem in July and had not collected money or provided services since discovering the issue.Cleeter is lodged in the Dearborn County Jail with a cash bond amount of $5,000.
Franklin County began the season on Thursday night with a 9-6 road conference win at East Central.Alex Bischoff pitched 5 strong innings before giving way to Matthew Billman who earned the win on the mound in the final 3 innings. Bischoff also led the way at the plate, going 3-3. Dalton Durbin and Landon Bundy also had 2 hits on the day.FC will host East Central on Friday night in a rescheduled game from Monday.Courtesy of Wildcats Coach Derek Stang.
Gary F. Obermeyer, age 67 of Oldenburg, died Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. Born July 28, 1953 in Batesville, he is the son of Ethelinda (Nee: Fledderman) and Clarence Obermeyer. Gary loved to go fishing and playing cards, especially 7up. He drove a truck for Rumpke’s, Bruni Concrete in Greensburg and most recently worked in maintenance for the Ripley County Highway Department.He is survived by his fiancé Pam Haskamp of Oldenburg; daughter Alisha Obermeyer of Las Vegas, Nevada; sisters Alice McCarty of Yorkville, Indiana, Mary Jane Boyd, Bernadine Wuestefeld, Connie (Dennis) Harmeyer, Beth (Ken) West, all of Batesville and brother John (Ann) Obermeyer of Batesville. In addition to his parents, he is also preceded in death by his sister Carol Ann Suttman and brother Dennis Obermeyer. Gary will be cremated. Memorials may be made to Pam and sent to Weigel Funeral Home, P.O. Box 36, Batesville, Indiana 47006.
Connections of Rashaan have put a ‘not for sale’ sign on the exciting young hurdler following his impressive victory at Fairyhouse on Sunday. Trainer Colin Kidd and owner Victor Treacy are determined to hang on to the three-year-old, who is now as low as 12-1 favourite for the JCB Triumph Hurdle after he took his 100% record over jumps to three in the Bar One Racing Juvenile Hurdle. He romped home by 13 lengths from the 1-2 favourite Missy Tata, who was receiving 11lb. “I had a meeting with the owner on Monday morning and the horse is not for sale,” said the County Carlow handler. “All we want now is a bit of luck and the horse to stay healthy and sound and we’ll have a lot of fun with him. “It was great, he was very impressive. It’s just the way he travels and settles so brilliantly through the race and jumps so well. “He was able to pull away from the back of the last hurdle. That was the class about him. “There’s not a bother on him. He’s fresh and well, he’s 100%.” The Knight Frank Juvenile Hurdle at Leopardstown on December 26 is the next port of call for Rashaan, who was bought for just 8,500 guineas at Goffs Sales in February, having been owned by the Aga Khan and with just one run on the Flat for Michael Halford. “He’ll go to Leopardstown now on St Stephen’s Day for the Grade Two Juvenile there, that’s the next step,” said Kidd. “We’ll head there at Christmas first and worry about Cheltenham after.” Press Association
A businessman in upstate New York is facing 40 criminal counts, six months after a crash killed 20 people in a limousine that was rented from his family’s company.According to Schoharie District Attorney Susan Mallery, Nauman Hussain has been indicted on 20 counts of second-degree manslaughter as well as 20 counts of negligent homicide. He will be arraigned on Wednesday.Police describe Hussain as an “operator” for Prestige Limousine Chauffer Service, a company owned by his father, Shahed Hussain.In October of last year, the younger Hussain allegedly hired driver Scott Lisinicchia, who did have the appropriate license to drive a limo.The complaint against Nauman Hussain also alleges that the modified Ford Excursion had certain mechanical and safety issues, affecting the brakes, among other things.New York Governor Andrew Cuomo says the limo failed an inspection in September of last year, and “was not supposed to be on the road.”However, Hussain’s attorney, Lee Kindlon, says, “Mr. Hussain is not guilty of criminal wrongdoing, and we will fight for him every step of the way.” Kindlon adds that Hussain had “very little involvement” in his father’s company, handling clerical duties.Lisinicchia was driving 17 passengers to a birthday party when the limo ran a stop sign and then struck a parked SUV, according to officials.Everyone in the limo was killed, as were two pedestrians. Newlyweds and four sisters were among the victims.The National Transportation Safety Board issued its preliminary report in February. It states that the “original 137-inch-long wheelbase for the 2001 Ford Excursion had been lengthened by 180 inches to increase the seating capacity to 18 occupants (including the driver).”The report adds, “All aspects of the Schoharie, New York, crash remain under investigation as the NTSB focuses on determining the probable cause, with the intent of issuing safety recommendations to prevent similar crashes.”
… becomes first Windies player in 50 years to score a century and take five wickets in the same Test(REUTERS) – Roston Chase joined elite company as West Indies escaped with an unlikely draw against India after the second Test concluded in Jamaica yesterday.Chase scored 137 not out to lead West Indies to safety, with the home team losing only two wickets on the fifth and final day at Sabina Park in Kingston.West Indies had reached 388 for six in their second innings when India captain Virat Kohli conceded a draw with a few overs still remaining.If not quite qualifying as a miracle, the result was certainly unexpected after the Windies began the final day staring down the barrel of defeat, precariously placed on 48 for four and still needing another 256 to make India bat again.Even though rain washed out most of day four, it seemed a formality for India to quickly wrap up victory and take a 2-0 lead in the four-Test series, but West Indies batsmen dominated from the very first over as Chase and his fellow middle-order batsman displayed assurance and more than a touch of class.Their performance will give Caribbean cricket fans hope that their team has a future in the five-day format.Chase, in just his second Test, took 5-121 with his off-spin in the India innings, before showing his class with the bat.He became just the fourth West Indies player to score a century and take five wickets in the same Test, and the first to do so in 50 years.Gary Sobers, the only player to accomplish the feat twice, last achieved that double in 1966.RAPTUROUS APPLAUSEThe small crowd erupted in rapturous applause when Chase completed his century and raised his bat in celebration, with nobody clapping louder than Viv Richards.Chase received excellent support from fellow 24-year-old Jermaine Blackwood (63) and Shane Dowrich (74), who was unfortunate to be given out lbw to Amit Mishra, with replays showing he appeared to get a thick inside.Blackwood displayed excellent technique with a series of classic straight drives that offered evidence of why he kept his place in the team despite a pair in the first Test.He smashed two sixes and nine fours in a 54-ball knock as he dominated a brisk fifth-wicket stand of 93 with Chase until he was superbly caught by a diving Cheteshwar Pujara, via bat-pad, off the spin bowling of Ravichandran Ashwin.Chase then shared in a sixth-wicket partnership of 144 with Dowrich, who departed with the result still very much in the balance.Captain Jason Holder, the fast-bowling all-rounder who knows how to wield a bat coming in at number eight, teamed up with Chase to assure the draw.The pair put on 103, Holder bringing up his 50 in style by hoisting Ashwin over long-off for six. He was 64 not out at the close.The rearguard action had statisticians searching through the record books, revealing it to be the first time ever that West Indies batsmen at five, six, seven and eight had each scored a half-century in the same innings.West Indies’ crushing defeat in the series-opener in Antigua, by an innings and 92 runs, meant the hosts had lost seven out of eight Tests while drawing the other game.But the series suddenly has new life going into the third Test to be played at Gros Islet on the island of Saint Lucia from August 9 to 13.WEST INDIES1st innings 196 (J. Blackwood 62; R. Ashwin 5-52)INDIA 1st innings 500 for 9 decl. (L. Rahul 158, A. Rahane 108 n.o.; R. Chase 5-121)WEST INDIES 2nd innings (Overnight 48-4)K. Brathwaite c Rahul b Mishra 23R. Chandrika b I. Sharma 1Da. Bravo c Rahul b Shami 20M. Samuels b Shami 0J. Blackwood c Pujara b R. Ashwin 63R. Chase not out 137S. Dowrich lbw b Mishra 74J. Holder not out 64Extras: (lb-2, nb-3, w-1) 6Total: (for 6 wickets, 104 overs) 388Fall of wickets: 1-5, 2-41, 3-41, 4-48, 5-141, 6-285.Bowling: I. Sharma 18-3-56-1 (nb-2), M. Shami 19-3-82-2, A. Mishra 25-6-90-2 (nb-1), U. Yadav 12-2-44-0 (w-1), R. Ashwin 30-4-114–1.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Paris: The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system has been much talked about since being used at the World Cup earlier in 2018 and was praised by some for spotting fouls, criticized by others for slowing down matches. On Sunday, VAR attracted attention for another reason altogether: it stopped working during the 1-1 draw between Rennes and Toulouse.“The fourth official came to see me 10 minutes from the end of halftime to tell me it wasn’t working,” Toulouse coach Alain Casanova said.“There was a problem, quite simply.” Casanova said he and his Rennes counterpart, Sabri Lamouchi, as well as the two team captains, were all informed before the second half started.ALSO READ: Did Cristiano Ronaldo rape American model in Las Vegas?Toulouse may have cause for regret because VAR was not used to review images when a penalty was given to Rennes midway through the second half. It was awarded after striker M’Baye Niang fell under a challenge from Jean-Clair Todibo, who was shown a yellow card for protesting the decision.Niang converted in the 70th minute, but Todibo headed in the equalizer two minutes from time for Toulouse.Toulouse played with 10 men for the entire second half after forward Aaron Leya Iseka was sent off in the 43rd for a second yellow card.The draw leaves Rennes struggling in 16th place ? two spots above the relegation zone while Toulouse is seventh.Slick LilleLille showed it means business as a contender for Champions League qualification, beating Marseille 3-0 to move into second place behind Paris Saint-Germain.Striker Nicolas Pepe opened the scoring from the penalty spot midway through the second half and then earned another penalty. He let strike partner Jonathan Bamba take it, making it 2-0 in the 86th.Moments later, Bamba added his second of the night from close range. Lille struggled so much last season it was almost relegated.What a turnaround it has been since coach Christophe Galtier took charge. Not only did he save Lille from humiliating relegation following a significant transfer outlay, but he has also transformed the side this season.ALSO READ: ISL 2018/19, Bengaluru FC vs Chennaiyin FC: Top 3 talking pointsMeanwhile, Marseille’s defense continues to leak goals and coach Rudi Garcia’s team is down in sixth spot.Impressive MontepillierThird-place Montpellier continued its fine start by beating local rival Nimes 3-0.Defender Ambroise Oyongo put Montpellier ahead and striker Andy Delort made it 2-0 after nine minutes of first-half injury time.A metal gate gave way after Montpellier fans celebrated Oyongo’s goal, sending a few of them spilling onto the pitch and causing the match to be delayed.Reports said two fans sustained light injuries.The outstanding Florent Mollet set up striker Gaetan Laborde for a diving header in the 79th, after which a crowd disturbance caused the match to be stopped for about 30 minutes.Some 70-80 riot police came onto the pitch to block a section of agitated Montpellier fans from confronting their Nimes counterparts
Associated Press February 26, 2020 USC Upstate seeks revenge on Winthrop For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com SENIOR STUDS: Winthrop’s Chandler Vaudrin, Hunter Hale and Josh Ferguson have collectively scored 40 percent of all Eagles points this season, although that number has dropped to 31 percent over the last five games.CLUTCH CHANDLER: Vaudrin has connected on 37.9 percent of the 66 3-pointers he’s attempted and has gone 4 for 14 over the last three games. He’s also made 52.8 percent of his foul shots this season.WINLESS WHEN: South Carolina Upstate is 0-14 this year when it scores 64 points or fewer and 11-4 when it scores at least 65.PERFECT WHEN: The Spartans are 5-0 when they record eight or more steals and 6-18 when they fall shy of that mark. The Eagles are 12-0 when they hold opponents to a field goal percentage of 40.4 percent or worse, and 7-10 when opponents exceed that percentage.DID YOU KNOW: The Winthrop offense has scored 80.4 points per game this season, ranking the Eagles 11th among Division I teams. The South Carolina Upstate defense has allowed 73.3 points per game to opponents (ranked 247th overall).___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditWinthrop (19-10, 13-3) vs. South Carolina Upstate (11-18, 6-10)G.B. Hodge Center, Spartanburg, South Carolina; Thursday, 6 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: Winthrop goes for the season sweep over South Carolina Upstate after winning the previous matchup in Rock Hill. The teams last faced each other on Jan. 23, when the Eagles outshot South Carolina Upstate from the field 46.7 percent to 38.6 percent and had six fewer turnovers on the way to the 79-53 victory.
Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola has backed Roberto Di Matteo to steady the ship at Stamford Bridge.Placed in interim charge following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas as manager, Di Matteo made a promising start by guiding the team through a tricky FA Cup replay at Birmingham on Tuesday.And Zola, still a hero among Chelsea fans, believes his former team-mate can maintain that momentum.AdChoices广告“Roberto has got a big opportunity and I personally believe he’s got the qualities to do a good job,” Zola told the Press Association.“I really hope that he’s going to do well. He’s a Chelsea boy as well, he’s a Chelsea hero, and so he’s well represented.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook