10 months agoNewcastle boss Rafa Benitez hopes for busy transfer market

first_imgNewcastle boss Rafa Benitez hopes for busy transfer marketby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United boss Rafa Benitez hopes to be busy during the January market.But he doesn’t expect a bumper transfer budget from owner Mike Ashley.”I am used to wheeling and dealing all my life,” he said. “I don’t think I was breaking the record in transfer windows, never, ever, with any of my teams. “We had to sell players to buy players. I don’t have any problem with that if you do things in time and find the right players. The main thing is to find the right players.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

See More

Constitutional arguments in polygamy case delayed in British Columbia court

first_imgCRANBROOK, B.C. – A court case that challenges Canada’s ban on polygamy on constitutional grounds has been pushed back a month because of delays in filing legal documents.Dan McLaughlin, a spokesman for the B.C. Prosecution Service, says the Crown asked for an adjournment after receiving new material from the defence Monday evening, the day before the hearing was set to start.Winston Blackmore’s lawyer, Blair Suffredine, says he added 10 paragraphs to the end of an affidavit.Blackmore is the leader of a small community in southeastern British Columbia that follows the teachings of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which endorses plural marriage. The mainstream Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has renounced any connection to the polygamist group.A B.C. Supreme Court judge found Blackmore and fellow church leader James Oler each guilty of one count of polygamy earlier this year, but the convictions will not be entered pending the outcome of the constitutional arguments.The hearing has been rescheduled to begin Dec. 12 and last three days.last_img read more

See More

Crescent Point Energy cuts 17 of workforce plans to reduce debt by

first_imgCALGARY – Crescent Point Energy Corp. says it plans to reduce its workforce by 17 per cent, sell some infrastructure assets and reduce its debt by more than $1 billion by the end of 2019.The Calgary-based company says the workforce reduction will lower expenses by more than $50 million annually, but it didn’t say how many people would be affected.According to a regulatory filing, it had 1,085 permanent employees at the end of December, including 462 at its head office.Crescent Point also confirmed Craig Bryksa is the new president and chief executive. He replaced long-time CEO Scott Saxberg on an interim basis in May.“This restructuring is difficult, however we needed to adjust the organization to match our current business needs,” Bryksa said in a statement.“We are all focused on executing our transition plan and are excited about Crescent Point’s future.”The company said it will focus on its Viewfield, Shaunavon and Flat Lake resource plays and to continue advancing emerging and early-stage plays in the Uinta Basin and East Shale Duvernay areas.It’s also reviewing the sale of some infrastructure assets.At Crescent Point’s board of directors, Robert (Bob) Heinemann replaces Peter Bannister as chariman.The appointments of a new chairman and CEO are part of a previously disclosed review of governance that began in late 2017.Earlier this year, Crescent Point shareholders rejected a dissident slate of directors that was put forth by Cation Capital Inc., which had been critical of the company and its compensation policies.The company said Wednesday that a recent restructuring of its executive team is expected to reduce annual compensation for the five current highest-paid executives by 20 per cent compared with 2017.Companies in this story: (TSX:CPG)last_img read more

See More

Facebook says 50M user accounts affected by security breach

first_imgNEW YORK, N.Y. – Facebook says it recently discovered a security breach affecting nearly 50 million user accounts.The hack is the latest setback for Facebook during a year of tumult for the global social media service.In a blog post , the company says hackers exploited a bug that affected its “View As” feature, which lets people see what their profiles look like to someone else. That would let attackers steal the “access tokens” Facebook uses to keep people logged in. Possession of those tokens would allow attackers to “seize control” of user accounts, Facebook said.Facebook says it has taken steps to fix the security problem and alerted law enforcement.To deal with the issue, Facebook reset some logins, so 90 million people have been logged out and will have to log in again. That includes anyone who has been subject to a “View As” lookup in the past year.Facebook says it doesn’t know who is behind the attacks or where they’re based. In a call with reporters on Friday, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said that the company doesn’t know yet if any of the accounts that were hacked were misused.Jake Williams, a security expert at Rendition Infosec, said the stolen access tokens would have likely allowed attackers to view private posts and probably post status updates or shared posts as the compromised user, but wouldn’t affect passwords.“The bigger concern (and something we don’t know yet) is whether third party applications were impacted,” Williams said in a text exchange. “Facebook offers a login service for third parties to allow users to log into their apps using Facebook. In other words, Facebook is providing the identity management for countless other sites and services. These access tokens that were stolen show when a user is logged into Facebook and that may be enough to access a user’s account on a third party site.News broke early this year that data analytics firm that once worked for the Trump campaign, Cambridge Analytica, had gained access to personal data from millions of user profiles. Then a congressional investigation found that agents from Russia and other countries have been posting fake political ads since at least 2016. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg appeared at a Congressional hearing over Facebook’s privacy policies in April.Facebook has more than 2 billion users worldwide. The company said people do not need to change their Facebook passwords, but anyone having trouble logging on should visit the site’s help centre . Those who want to log out can visit the “Security and Login” section of their settings, which lists the places that people are logged into Facebook. It has a one-click option of logging out of all locations.Ed Mierzwinski, the senior director of consumer advocacy group U.S. PIRG, said the breach was “very troubling.”“It’s yet another warning that Congress must not enact any national data security or data breach legislation that weakens current state privacy laws, preempts the rights of states to pass new laws that protect their consumers better, or denies their attorneys general rights to investigate violations of or enforce those laws,” he said in a statement.Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said “the most important point is that we found out from them,” meaning Facebook, as opposed to a third party.“As a user, I want Facebook to proactively protect my data and let me know when it’s compromised,” he said. “Shareholders should ultimately approve of Facebook’s handling of the issue.”___An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the day of Mark Zuckerberg’s call with reporters.___AP technology reporter Frank Bajak in Boston contributed to this report.last_img read more

See More

What is Boxing Day and how did it get its name

first_imgLONDON — In Britain and other countries like Australia and Canada, the day after Christmas is a secular national holiday known as Boxing Day. Here’s a brief look at some theories about how the holiday got its name and how people celebrate it:NO NEED FOR BOXING GLOVESWhile no one seems to know for sure how it came to be called Boxing Day, it definitely has nothing to do with the sport of boxing. Perhaps the most widely held understanding of its origins comes from the tradition of wealthier members of society giving servants and tradesmen a so-called Christmas Box containing money and gifts on the day after Christmas.It was seen as a reward for a year’s worth of service. Other believe it comes from the post-Christmas custom of churches placing boxes outside their doors to collect money for distribution to less-fortunate members of society in need of Christmas cheer.Some trace it to Britain’s proud naval tradition and the days when a sealed box of money was kept on board for lengthy voyages and then given to a priest for distribution to the poor if the voyage was successful.There are other explanations, but it’s clear the designation has nothing to do with the modern habit of using the holiday for shopping at “big box” stores selling televisions, computers and the like.SHARING THE WEALTH, AROUND THE COMMONWEALTHNo one knows for sure when Boxing Day started, but some believe it was centuries ago, when servants would be given the day after Christmas off as a day of rest after feverish preparations for their masters’ celebrations.Others trace it back even earlier, to the Roman practice of collecting money in boxes — they say Roman invaders brought this practice to Britain, where it was taken up by the clergy to collect money in boxes for the disadvantaged.The tradition gained popularity during the Victorian era and has flourished to this day. The British Empire may now be a thing of the past, but Boxing Day is still celebrated in some other parts of the Commonwealth, including Canada, Australia and Kenya.SO IF THEY’RE NOT BOXING, WHAT DO PEOPLE ACTUALLY DO ON BOXING DAY?Boxing Day has evolved into a day of relaxation and indulgence — and shopping. It is filled with sporting events (including a marathon soccer schedule tailor-made for TV viewing from a comfortable couch) and it is often a day when people open their homes to family and friends who drop by for turkey, ham and perhaps half-consumed bottles of wine left over from Christmas dinner.In Britain it used to be a day for fox hunting in the frost-tinged countryside, but that practice has been mostly banned for more than a decade now. In its place, “Boxing Day Sales” have flourished, with many Britons lifted from their post-Christmas torpor by the lure of low prices in department stores.Gregory Katz, The Associated Presslast_img read more

See More

UNC head football coach Everett Withers joins Ohio State football staff

Everett Withers, the current interim head coach of the University of North Carolina football team, was hired Wednesday to join new Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer’s staff. Withers will be the assistant head coach, as well as co-defensive coordinator under Meyer, according to a press release. Withers will split defensive coordinator duties with current OSU head coach Luke Fickell. However, Meyer previously said Fickell will call plays for the unit. In his fourth season at UNC and his first as its head coach, Withers led the team to a 7-5 overall record and an appearance in the Dec. 26 Independence Bowl against Missouri. Withers will stay with the Tar Heels to coach its bowl game. A UNC football team spokesman declined to comment to The Lantern regarding Withers’ departure from the university. OSU did not immediately make Withers’ contract details available. Withers is currently in his 24th season as football coach of both NFL and college teams. Withers began his coaching career as defensive coordinator at Austin Peay in 1988 and would eventually hold other collegiate coaching position at Tulane (1991), Southern Mississippi (1992-93), Louisville (1995-97), Texas (1998-2000) and Minnesota (2007) before becoming UNC’s defensive coordinator and secondary coach in 2008. Withers has also served as defensive backs coach for the NFL’s Tennesee Titans from 2001-2006 and oversaw defensive quality control for the New Orleans Saints in 1994. The Independence Bowl Dec. 26 is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. kickoff while Fickell will coach OSU in Jacksonville, Fla., Jan. 2 when the Buckeyes play Florida in the Gator Bowl. read more

See More

Rooney reveals some exEngland players are jealous of the current stars

first_imgFormer England captain Wayne Rooney claims some of his ex-teammates are jealous of the success of the current crop of playersRooney, England’s 53-goal record scorer, who never got past a major quarterfinal during his international career recently admitted he wants only the best for the current players after saying goodbye after the friendly against the US.“I know there are some ex-players who I’ve spoken to who can’t come to terms with England doing well,” Rooney told several national newspapers before Sunday’s Nations League showdown with Croatia and reported by ESPN.“That is wrong. I’m not like that. I’m a fan now. I want England to do well. I’m proud to have played for England so many times and I always have been.Jadon Sancho, Borussia DortmundCrouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“I’ve had my time. I’m happy with what I’ve contributed to the national team and I look forward now to the next few years and watching this team progress.“I’ve enjoyed being around Gareth [Southgate], the players, the coaching staff and seeing how it’s all developing.“I wouldn’t say I’ve got regret [over my England career]. The main thing is that I can look back and say to myself I gave everything. It didn’t always work. It didn’t always pay off. But I have given everything when playing for England and I’ve tried to make us successful.“Sometimes everything just isn’t enough. But no, I’ve got no regrets. I’ve had my time and it didn’t quite work out in terms of trophies. I’m happy with my international career and I’ll always look back and be proud of what I achieved for England.”last_img read more

See More

Charlie Austin banned for two games after abusive gesture

first_imgSouthampton striker Charlie Austin has been handed a two-game ban by the English FA for his gesture during the club’s 3-1 home loss Manchester City, Goal claims.The former Queens Park Rangers striker was booed when he was substituted off in the 68th minute and appeared to make an abusive sign towards the travelling City fans last month.The Football Association charged the 29-year-old with making “an abusive and/or insulting” gesture and he will miss the next Premier League against Leicester City this weekend as well as the FA Cup replay against Derby County on January 16.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…This is not the first time Austin has found himself in disciplinary matters with the FA. In 2016 the striker received a three-match ban for violent conduct following an altercation with Huddersfield goalkeeper Jonas Lossl.Austin also was shown a red card as a QPR player during a 2-0 win against Burnley, after finding the back of the net against his former club.The striker’s suspension leaves Saints boss Ralph Hassenhuttl with only Shane Long, Sam Gallagher and Michael Obafemi as his only options in attack.last_img read more

See More

Millions of Extra Government Revenue to rollover to upcoming Fiscal Year

first_img Recommended for you Cabinet Ministers get to spend more, CFO stays on the job TCI European Union money could be lost due to UK referendum on membership Related Items:government revenue, washington misick Preview of Budget reveals salary hikes, millions is saving with retired of UK bail out loan Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 30 Jan 2015 – For the first time in three years, the Turks and Caicos is poised to hear the Budget Communication from the Government on time. Earlier this week, the Ministry of Finance revealed that the preliminary FSPS or Financial and Strategic Policy Statement is being prepared for presentation to the House of Assembly. But that is not what the PNP Administration is touting as the biggest success here; the government explains that strong negotiation from their side has caused the UK ministers to acquiesce to a push to have unspent monies rolled over into this new financial year projected to start on time in April. Finance Minister Washington Misick said: “We are able to do this because of this country’s prudent economic path. Since we were elected in 2012, the TCI has experienced above average Caribbean growth, and improved government revenues. This agreement will ensure that (we)rollover approximately $6m to support our policy commitments, rather than otherwise reallocating these monies to debt reduction.” And there is insight into what the new FSPS will contain including: “the proposed pay and grading review, to address pay anomalies in the public service and (we will) assist in the recruitment and retention of critical front line staff.” There are said to be as many as nine other stand out and priority areas of the Rufus Ewing led government, these falling in line explained Minister Washy with the party’s platform. Those areas were named as: Environmental protection, Environmental cleanliness, Strengthening of Local Governance in the family islands, Marketing and promotion of the family islands as tourist destinations, Cultural and heritage celebration, Youth development, Government information service, Tertiary education – scholarship allocation, increased funding for TCI Community College and Civil Servants training and the monitoring of the existing PPP with Inter-Health Canada to improve value for money. last_img read more

See More

Rain continues flooding stops business as usual

first_img National Heritage Month ends Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Rain creates nasty weather and dangerous conditions throughout TCI TCI to renew Storm & Flood insurance Recommended for you Related Items:Bugaloo’s Conch Crawl, enid capron primary school, flooding, rain Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 21 Oct 2015 – The rain continued today across the country with localized flooding still an issue which is impacting business operations. Bugaloo’s Conch Crawl which sits on the beach in Five Cays and reports that rain did force the mainly outdoor eatery to close up early yesterday, but that business is still open.Meanwhile, residents have taken to social media once again to express frustration at the lack of drainage, including in schools where the playground at the Enid Capron Primary, for example, easily resembles a lake. last_img read more

See More