Rijeka has a new tourist guide – Time Out

first_imgAs of this year, Rijeka has a new tourist guide in English as part of the world’s most famous tourist franchise guide Time Out.The edition dedicated to Rijeka has just been published and is available at newsstands with over 100 pages dedicated only to Rijeka and the European Capital of Culture.Time Out Rijeka offers a handful of stories about Rijeka and the European Capital of Culture that will present us to many tourists and readers. And not only in the print edition that is available at newsstands, but also in online advertising activities, new videos and in the application that is being prepared. In addition to distribution in kiosks in Croatia, the magazine is available in selected foreign markets, all with the aim of further raising the international profile of Rijeka with the promotion of cultural, tourist and development potentials of the city.Time Out Rijeka is a joint tourist guide of Rijeka and the European Capital of Culture, which was realized with partners by the Tourist Board of Rijeka and Rijeka 2020. By the way, Time Out is an international media magazine for tourism, culture and gastronomy present in 108 cities and 39 countries. and has a monthly audience of 242 million readers worldwide. Time Out media includes magazines, websites, newsletters and mobile applications and has a reach of 2,5 million tourists who come to Croatia every year.last_img read more

See More

Bracknell’s £750m makeover unveiled

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

See More

China expels Wall Street Journal reporters over ‘racist’ headline

first_imgChina on Wednesday ordered three reporters from The Wall Street Journal to leave the country over what Beijing deemed a racist headline, in one of the harshest moves against foreign media in years.The United States protested what it called an affront to press freedom, one day after it tightened rules on Chinese media organizations that it considers state propaganda.Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said a Journal opinion piece — titled “China is the Real Sick Man of Asia” — had a “racially discriminatory” and “sensational” headline, and slammed the newspaper for not issuing an official apology. “As such, China has decided that from today, the press cards of three Wall Street Journal reporters in Beijing will be revoked,” Geng told a press briefing.The Journal reported that deputy bureau chief Josh Chin and reporter Chao Deng, both US nationals, as well as reporter Philip Wen, an Australian, had been ordered to leave the country in five days.US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo condemned the expulsions and voiced hope that China would one day allow its citizens “the same access to accurate information” that Americans enjoy.”Mature, responsible countries understand that a free press reports facts and expresses opinions,” Pompeo said in a statement. “The correct response is to present counter arguments, not restrict speech,” he said.The three journalists work in The Wall Street Journal’s news section, which is not linked to the editorial and opinion section.The newspaper’s publisher, William Lewis, said the outlet was “deeply disappointed” with China’s decision and asked that the visas of the three reporters be reinstated.”This opinion piece was published independently from the WSJ newsroom and none of the journalists being expelled had any involvement with it,” Lewis said in a statement.”The need for quality, trusted news reporting from China is greater than ever; today’s decision to target our News department journalists greatly hinders that effort,” he said.”However, this has clearly caused upset and concern amongst the Chinese people, which we regret.”‘Not completely coincidental’ The op-ed, written by Bard College professor Walter Russell Mead, criticised the Chinese government’s initial response to the new coronavirus outbreak — calling the Wuhan city government at the virus epicentre “secretive and self-serving”, while dismissing national efforts as ineffective.The phrase “sick man of Asia” originally referred to China in the late 19th and early 20th century, when it was exploited by foreign powers during a period sometimes called the country’s “century of humiliation”.”At American newspapers, writers typically do NOT write or approve the headlines,” Mead tweeted after the op-ed was published. “Argue with the writer about the article content, with the editors about the headlines.”The new coronavirus epidemic has killed more than 2,000 people in China and infected more than 74,000, and has spread to at least two dozen countries.Geng said the February 3 piece “slandered the efforts of the Chinese government and the Chinese people to fight the epidemic”.The expulsions come a day after the United States angered China for classifying five state media outlets, including Xinhua agency and the China Global Television Network, as foreign missions, with State Department officials saying they were part of Beijing’s growing “propaganda” apparatus.China’s nationalistic Global Times newspaper on Wednesday implied a link between the WSJ expulsions and the new US policy.”There are no connections between the two events, but it is not completely coincidental that they happened at about the same time,” it said an editorial on its English-language website.”The two countries’ values are drifting apart… This is not a good sign.”‘Extreme’China’s move to force out the three journalists marks a drastic escalation in pressure on the international media. Multiple foreign reporters have been effectively expelled over the past five years.The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China said China had not outright expelled a foreign correspondent since 1998.”The action taken against the Journal correspondents is an extreme and obvious attempt by the Chinese authorities to intimidate foreign news organisations,” the FCCC said in a statement.Nine journalists have been either expelled or effectively expelled through non-renewal of visas since 2013, it added.In August, China refused to renew the press credentials of WSJ journalist Chun Han Wong, after he and Wen wrote an article on one of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s cousins.Wen and the other two expelled Journal reporters had reported on Xinjiang, covering forced labour, surveillance and re-education camps.A 2019 FCCC survey of 109 foreign journalists said many working in China have been threatened with visa delays, or issued with short-stay visas, which they believed were related to their coverage.China expels Wall Street Journal reporters over ‘racist’ headlineTopics :last_img read more

See More

Family home on corner allotment is perfect for luxury living in suburbia

first_img96 Kenna Street, AspleyThis five-bedroom, three-bathroom home at Aspley is all about luxury living.The family home at 96 Kenna St is on an elevated 719sq m corner allotment.The home is positioned perfectly on the land allowing for full use of the front yard, yet providing a multitude of options. Relax and unwind at 96 Kenna Street, AspleyThe corner allotment has outdoor living areas, the entrance to the home and the front yard with a perfect northerly aspect.Having two-street access allows for automated double garaging off De Villiers Place with side access for an additional small vehicle boat, or trailer.Owner Elizabeth Wooderson said she had lived in the double-storey home for about a year and was moving to be closer to her family. 96 Kenna Street, AspleyMore from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 2019Ms Wooderson, who has two children, said the home would definitely suit another family.“There is the open plan living areas and you can keep an eye on the children from the kitchen,” she said.She said her favourite part of the home was the garden.“I do spend a lot of time out there,” she said.“We play cricket and enjoy the trees and the birds and the front patio is a great entertaining area.” One of the bedrooms at 96 Kenna Street, AspleyThe upper level of the home, fully repainted and carpeted, is perfect for relaxation and sleeping. The main bedroom is spacious, with a modern ensuite, walk-in robe and custom made Plantation shutters, split system airconditioning and new carpet.The lower level features a bathroom, the tiled fifth bedroom or study/home office, and direct access to the double garage. 96 Kenna Street, AspleyRay White Bridgeman Downs selling agent Sonya Treloar said the property was walking distance to public transport and 14km from the Brisbane CBD.Parks and schools are nearby.last_img read more

See More

Switzerland edges closer to cutting conversion rate

first_imgAs part of the proposal, the union federation SGB/USS, the union Travail.Suisse, and the employer association SAV/UPS called on the government to aim for the new legal framework to come into effect by 2021 or 2022 at the latest.Swiss pension experts have long called for a cut to the minimum conversion rate that has to be applied to calculate pension payments from assets accrued in the mandatory part of the second pillar.It is widely agreed that the current 6.8% level is too high, which has resulted in cross-financing of pensions from active members’ assets.Those pension funds representing employers paying more than the mandatory minimum contribution have already taken drastic steps to lower the conversion rate, with some cutting it to below 5%.Having “diligently negotiated” a compromise that was “to the point and holds weight”, the unions and employer representatives were confident that it would “find a majority” in parliament.Other changes put forwardOther proposed legal amendments included a top-up payment on second pillar pensions for the next 15 generations of new retirees from the time the revised law – known as BVG/LPP – took effect.This was meant to ensure that any sudden cut in the conversion rate did not cause some generations to suffer greater losses.Money for this measure was to come from a minor top-up to first-pillar contributions made by employers.The proposal also included a slight reduction in the legal minimum contribution for employees to the second pillar, particularly for employees over 45, making it “cheaper” for an employer to keep older employees. Thumbs up from ASIPThe Swiss pension fund association ASIP welcomed the agreement as it showed that employer representatives and unions “were aware of the urgency” of reforming the BVG/LPP.However, it said in a press release that it would “assess the proposed measures without prejudice” over the coming months.One measure that would “have to be tested for its practicability” was the additional top-up payments for second-pillar pension retirees coming from first-pillar contributions. ASIP said it wanted to assess the proposal’s effects on the pension funds that have to implement it.The pension fund association called on the government to “quickly” start the consultation phase on revising the BVG/LPP law.Further reading In need of a reformist zeal The Swiss pension system needs reform but consent is needed in a federal referendum. Have politicians learnt from campaigning during the rejected Altervorsorge 2020 proposals? Goodbye AV2020 A no vote in the referendum on pensions seemed like a ‘what if’ thought experiment right up until the ballot. But on the last Sunday in September 2017, the Swiss voted against reforms to the first and second pillar in the Altersvorsorge 2020 legislative package Two major Swiss unions have agreed with the association for employer representatives on a reform package for the law governing second pillar pensions.One of the most long-awaited and urgent steps is the immediate reduction of the minimum conversion rate in the second pillar from 6.8% to 6%. This rate is used to calculate annual pension payouts.However, the cut – along with other proposals – will have to be put into legal form by the government, enter a consultation phase and then pass parliament. It is not yet clear whether there will be a public referendum on the proposal.Previous major votes in 2010 and 2017 on cutting the conversion rate as part of wider reforms did not achieve the necessary majority from the public.last_img read more

See More

Survey: Batesville Casket leads with quality, service

first_imgBATESVILLE, Ind. – Batesville Casket Company is earning industry-leading scores in a national survey.Batesville was named as the top-rated casket supplier for product quality, service and innovation.The survey allowed funeral professionals from across the nation to share views on a variety of topics that impact their business.It was the second consecutive year that the locally-based company had the highest scores for quality, and it was another year of increased ratings for service.“We hold ourselves to high standards – from the first step in manufacturing through delivery to a customer – so it’s good to see that our commitment and the efforts of dedicated associates throughout our Supply Chain are making a difference,” said Troy Turner, chief marketing officer for Batesville.83 percent of survey respondents named Batesville as a leader in product innovation, marking a 30 percent jump over the prior yearCorporate officials say ratings in the innovation category dominated all other casket companies.This year’s survey, which covers a wide range of issues facing today’s funeral professionals, drew responses from 359 people – the highest number of participants in its history.Funeral Service Insider, a weekly subscription-based publication that covers industry topics, conducted the survey.last_img read more

See More

Wildcats And Red Devils Battle To Scoreless Stalemate

first_imgThough Wildcats kept possession for most of the match, they could not find the net with the game ending in a 0-0 tie.Richmond barely had the ball beyond their halfline, forcing freshman keeper Levi Sanders to only 3 saves. The rest of the match was all FC. Noah Burgin returned from a knee injury and stabilized the back four with Reese Catron. Kenny Bruns and Lucas Stacy had their best performances of the young season so far, neutralizing the outside speed of Richmond. Keep it up boys!The ‘Cats have the day off today but will return to the practice pitch on Monday in preparation for Union County on Tuesday.Courtesy of Wildcats Coach Dan Gartenman.last_img read more

See More

Serbus sprints to Grams Memorial Night checkers

first_imgARLINGTON, Minn. (July 11) – Liberty Station sponsored Dan Grams Memorial Night, in honor of a young man who raced Sprint Cars at Arlington Raceway and lost his life in a car accident three years ago.Trevor Serbus is on a roll, as he won the Dan Grams Memorial feature for 95.7 The Rock IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Cars. Jordan Wilmes was the first lap leader but a caution came out on the se­cond circuit.On the restart, Serbus took the lead and never looked back. Jesse Cripe passed Wilmes on the backstretch on the last lap to take second.After Trent Loverude and Chad Porter took turns in the lead, Clint Hatlestad took charge and took the checkers in the MN 93 IMCA Modified main event.Dan Mackenthun raced from outside row five to win the B&B Racing Chassis IMCA Stock Car feature. Cory Probst was the third and final Eckblad Trucking IMCA Hobby Stock leader.Josh Larsen won his first feature of the season in the Unhinged Pizza IMCA Northern SportMods. Tenth starting Nate Coopman topped the Coors Light IMCA Sport Compact feature.last_img read more

See More

Extra patrols out this holiday weekend to keep roads safe

first_imgStatewide — Troopers from the Indiana State Police would like to encourage safe travels during this Labor Day weekend. To help ensure the safety of all motorists during this holiday period, the Indiana State Police will be participating in Operation C.A.R.E. (Combined Accident Reduction Effort) and DUIEP (Driving Under the Influence Enforcement Project). Both of these are federally funded programs that allow extra troopers to patrol Hoosier highways during the upcoming holiday period.Efforts will be focused on aggressive drivers, distracted drivers, impaired drivers, and drivers and passengers not buckled up.Do your part to ensure safety on Indiana’s roads:Don’t drive distracted, Avoid tailgating, Use turn signals,Obey the speed limit,Make sure everyone is buckled up, andDon’t drive impaired by drugs or alcohol.If you do see a possibly impaired driver, call 9-1-1 and give the vehicle’s description, location and direction of travel, and license plate, if possible. The goal is for everyone to celebrate safely and responsibly to ensure a safe Labor Day weekend. Be courteous to others while you are driving.last_img read more

See More

NIPOGA: Polytechnic Games to Focus on Youth Empowerment

first_imgAccording to her, it is important to always engage the youth, saying this would keep them away from negative vices prevalent in the country today.”I advise youths generally to be engaged in sports festival because it is an avenue to steer the minds away from many negative vices taking the attention of the youths particularly the unemployed ones.”We want our communities beyond this competition to have successful sports men and women, and the NIPOGA is a venture that would take them to the next height in life because they would be participating as youth entrepreneurs, ” she said.Earlier, NIPOGA President and Rector Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa, Professor Abdulkadir Saidu Shetima, noted that an event such as NIPOGA must be properly organised as it could be an incubation ground to scout for both male and female talents for the country..”We want to have the NIPOGA of international standards that is why we involved professional sports men like Ambassador John Fashanu, media personalities and sports promoters like the A3 Foundation.”Our school is also putting every innovation in place to have a memorable games festival as well as ensure that NIPOGA won’t be the way it has always been,” he said.Meanwhile, Ambassador John Fashanu, emphasised the need for grassroots sports, assuring that the games will be different from those held in the past.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Senator Iroegbu in AbujaThe organisers of the forthcoming Nigeria Polytechnic Games (NIPOGA), have emphasised on the need for youths to leverage on sports to become entrepreneurs.The Founder/Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of A3 Foundation and promoters of the upcoming sporting festival, Hajiya Aisha Audu-Emeje, stated this yesterday in Abuja at a media interaction to ascertain the level of preparedness of the host school; the Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa, in Nasarawa State.Audu-Emeje said that the foundation was putting up an active social centre at the host school; the Federal Polytechnic Nasarawa, in order to produce entrepreneurship minded youths at the end of the games.last_img read more

See More